Jul 28, 2010

Haunting of the Loose Ends

So, yeah, I wake up at 2 a.m. the other day realizing I had a dangling end. I got up to jot down the note. The next morning, I looked up where the thread started and read it over. Then I had to decide what to do about it. Well, I read through the next few chapters and decided where to put a mention of it. Then I know I can tie it up completely in an upcoming chapter. So, that one is resolved. Sometimes dangling threads just get the axe these days. Depends.

Then from reading my one-sheet, I realized there was another. Damn! So, I jot a note to tie that one up when the time comes.

At least I quit second-guessing myself on the solar system killing scenario. I research it over and over and over, and still worry it may not be right. I decided to let it go for now. I need to move out of my way on that one.

I have one chapter to go. I predict sketching it out tomorrow. I wanted another day with the second last chapter to make sure there are no dangling ends in the larger plot. So far, I don't see any.

I am at chapter 23 in re-edits. I think that chapter needs to be broken up into two. It's quite long. That will put me at 52 chapters. Impressive number I know, but many of them are quite short - 5 pages is average. I will end about 335 pages - 80,000 words.

I have to tweak chapters 23-40 for slight changes and then read over my notes to make sure I tie up all the noted loose ends.

Still working on the synopsis. There are three paragraphs I'm not yet happy with. They do, but I'd like them better. They'll get there.

Only one line on the one-sheet needs to be figured out. I'm not sure it makes sense to the story. I like the idea of it, but think it's wrong. So, I have to figure out how to change it to make it fit. At this stage of the game, unless an editor or agent asks me to revise something, I'm not revising anything. The plot stands. Things have to fit the story now.

I think the story is good. I'm happy with where it went. I'm happy with how it's turning out. Nine days to go. I better be happy. I should be done by next Saturday. If not, there'll only be a few chapters left to re-edit. I'd probably read through the newly written chapters at the end before sending it anywhere, too.

I can say having a deadline has been a phenomenal motivator. I'm amazed at what I accomplished in a short span of time. Basically, with the Word Herd, the plot was overhauled mid June. Since then, I've redirected and rewritten a lot of the novel.

It still might not get me where I want to go. Even after all that work. But it won't daunt me. I've learned a lot in the process and will keep growing. If novel#1 isn't the goldend ticket, perhaps it's #2. If not, maybe #3. Or #4. If I don't keep going, I will never get what I want. So, I keep going.

I'm adjusting to the new keyboard. It needs a lot more breaking in.