Aug 1, 2011

Most Loved and Most Hated Film Adaptations

Books I've loved that were turned into movies I've loved:

1.  The newest Star Trek. I wasn't sure I'd like this, but I thought it was awesome.



2.  2001: a Space Odyssey. I saw the film first, which made me so curious, I read the book, and read it again and again. This is what turned me onto sci-fi. It made me wonder and made me think, and that's what I've always loved about it. I watch the movie again and again, and so, too, read the novel.



3.  Sense & Sensibility. I enjoy this film version as much as the book. Both of which I read / watch over and over.



Most hated film adaptations:

1.  Dune. I was skeptical that complicated book could be made into a 3 hour film and make sense. I sure was right. It couldn't. The only redeeming thing about it was the casting of Sting.



2.  I think it was in the 1990's when this version of Mansfield Park came out. Strayed too much from the intent of the original novel, which made me hate it.



Watching the Harry Potter films makes me want to read the books. One day, I'll get around to it.



I've also heard Logan's Run and The Postman were excellent books and differed from the movies, so I'd like to read both of those books one of these days. Will go add them to my list in fact.

There have been plenty of other books to movies I've seen, but these were the ones that stood out. Any movies you've loved / hated that came from books? Any movies which prompted you to read the book?

Novel Films Blogfest, hosted by Madeleine of Scribble and Edit, August 1-3. Listing of novels, comics and plays that you have BOTH read and seen the film/ TV adaptations.